1) Although popularized in Italy, pizza originated in Greece.
2) One of the first online purchases ever made was a pepperoni and mushroom pizza from dominos.
3) A pizza was delivered to the international space station in 2001.
4) The largest pizza ever made was 122 feet long.
5) October is national pizza month in the United States.
6) It’s good for your health! Tomato sauce contains Lycopene, a cancer fighting antioxidant, and olive oil helps lower bad cholesterol.
7) The most popular pizza topping in the U.S. is pepperoni.
8) About 93 percent of Americans eat pizza at least once per month.
9) The first known pizzeria opened in 1738 in Italy.
10) The first U.S. pizzeria opened in 1895.
11) The Chicago deep dish was created in 1943.
12) The average adult eats about 750 calories of pizza at a time.
13) The Super Bowl is the most popular time of year for pizza deliveries.
14) Men are more likely to order meat-based pizzas.
15) Women tend to prefer vegetarian options.
16) The U.S. pizza industry is worth about $30 billion.
17) Americans eat around 350 slices of pizza every second.
18) The most expensive pizza you can buy costs $1000. It’s topped with caviar, lobster, crème fraîche, and chives.
19) Pizzerias account for almost 20 percent of restaurants in the United States.
20) Women tip delivery drivers better than men.
21) Nicknamed the “Pizza Principle”, subway fairs and pizza prices have risen at the same rate in New York City for over 50 years.
22) Pizza was originally spelled “pitsa” (it all makes so much sense now).
23) There are over 61,000 pizzerias in the U.S.
Hungry yet? Head over to Pop Up Pizza in the Plaza Hotel to satiate your pizza cravings, and get your cheese, bread, tomato, and topping fix. The friendly staff will take care of you, and get you a taste of exactly what you’re searching for. You shouldn’t expect anything less from the best downtown pizza in Las Vegas!